"The book exists for us, perchance, that will explain our miracles and reveal new ones. The at present unutterable things we may find somewhere uttered."

-Henry David Thoreau

Monday, March 5, 2012

Souls, Stars, Books, and 'Beans

First things first. This is about a 5 days late, so before i forget entirely, I'll get it to you.

Every Soul a Star
By Wendy Mass
Pages: 322
Characters: Jack, Ally, Bree
Stars:                 


Every Soul a Star is the story of how three kids are trying to learn t figure out who they are in the idst of a changing time in their lives. Jack has never had a father he can really count on, and takes the trip to Moon Shadow Campground with his science teacher to save his grade. Bree couldn't be more different. Surrounded every day as she is by her geeky family,Bree wants nothing more than to be a star model who everyone knows. What she doesn't want is to spend the next three years of her life at a campground in the middle of nowhere. A campground that is all Ally has ever known, and isn't something she's quite ready to give up.  However, as the momentous occasion of a solar eclipse approaches, these three coming of age teens realize what they really want and what they think they want can be totally opposites.
To be honest, I wasn't a complete fan of this book. Sure, i thought it was nice, and certainly better than some of the the options I had for this competition, but it was something you could definitely tell was for younger readers. It was a a nice story, and only that. 

So i didn't finish this yesterday because of several complications so you may have been wondering about the books and 'beans part of the title and possibly, (though highly unlikely) the Dark Dawn stuff.  Anyways, here it is.

Every now and then wen I get one of those great long weekends off from school, I go on what my family likes to call a "book banger" and i call "reading runs". "Book banger" just sounds like something illegal, and it may just be, but who knows?! Anyways, such weekends are not complete without a decent sized stack of books, preferably 10-12 inches tall, a big glass of root beer and Jelly beans. Girl scout cookies and 'nilla wafers are an added bonus, but that's not important right now. We all have that so called happy place where we like to curl up with a book and pretend that no one else exists, or that we don't have work to do, or that life in general isn't the big issue that it is. My placement is my old basement. It's perfect, never too cool, never too hot, no one can ever find me although I'm sitting right on the couch in the middle of the room. It's wonderful. Add a book and the foods I mentioned earlier and it becomes a heaven on earth. There is probably nothing I love more than these occasional reading runs, with my favorite foods and all that nonsense. 
That being said, the only thing that can put a wrench in all of that is...a complication. Say for example, your dog having a seizure. That's right, my adorable, four year old black lab had some problems the other night. I'm happy to say she'll probably be fine, but still, it had me worried.





No comments:

Post a Comment