"The book exists for us, perchance, that will explain our miracles and reveal new ones. The at present unutterable things we may find somewhere uttered."

-Henry David Thoreau

Friday, December 2, 2011

Lists Lists Lists

I'm listing things today. Why? because it is my ongoing goal to be A) more organized, and lists do that for people, and b) make things easier to remember, which is another convenient act of lists. so here's list numero uno:

Books that I'm reading:

           1.Marcelo in the Real World. This is not a great book. Not really. And, to be honest, the only reason     that I ever started it was barbecue it looked like I'll Be There, which is one of my all time favorite books. Here's why I dislike this book:
  • The main character refers to everyone in 3rd person which is the most annoying thing of all time.
  • The main character is totally incapable of being a normal, regular human being an is definitely not easily functional in real life, not that I'm hating on anyone, but, just saying. 
  • This book is really, really idiotic. I do not recommend it.
           2. Crossed. I do not have high expectations for this book. everyone has told me it is great let down, and it's a transition book. Transition books are never that great. I just dearly hope that it doesn't end up like hunger game. (more on that later)

           3.King Arthur and his Knights. The reasons behind why I'm reading this book lean toward the nerdy side, so I won't go into them, but it involves a British TV show with a cute actor.

           4. Powerless. This book is on the list (common theme today) of 20 book that I have to read by February. Powerless is number 8. I'm failing here.  Basically powerless is about a group of kids who have superpowers, but start loosing them when they turn 13...and almost all the memories they had before. So far, it's a pretty good book, fairly average, but otherwise kinda funny.

          5. Ranger's Apprentice: The lost Stories. I love John Flanagan's writing. I was incredibly happy when this book came out because frankly, Emperor of Nihon-Ja ended to soon. Despite the great love I have for his writing, I do not maintain an admiration for the writer. The reason is very, very childish, but it still makes me mad. John Flanagan never responded to my letter. That hurts. You put all this hope into the fact that you could get a letter with writing advice from a famous author who you look up to sooo much, and then it never comes. It's awful, and for overall dream-crushing 9even when unintentional) I don't think that I can find a way to forgive him

And Number 2:
Book Stereotypes
(Yes, I know this is wrong, but it's a pretty reliable list, and when something doesn't follow these rules, it's usually irony.)
         
          1. People named Will.
  • They are usually tall, dark, and hansom. 
  • They always save the damsel, whether she needs saving or not.
  • The tend to be good people despite any flaws. The mission they are embarking themselves on is usually for the greater good.
          2. Dark forests at night, the people who go into them, and what happens in them.
  • Nothing good happens in dark forests at night. EVER. Only illegal things happen in dark forests at night.
  • The people who go walking in dark forests at night ARE NOT TRUSTWORTHY, or they're hiding something, or both.
  • Dark Forests usually have some sort of evil in them. Seriously, you can check the books: Hp 1: Voldemort. Hp 2: Big Spiders Hp 5: Where were killer centaurs gathering? Need: KILLER. PIXIES. 
           3. The things a controlled society tell you.
  • Never ever true period.You'd think the characters would've figured it out but then they're all surprised when the find out that THEIR SOCIETY IS TELLING THEM LIES.
           4. When someone tells you something will never happen again.
  • I think this one is pretty darn self-explanatory.
           5. When you have a dark haired boy and a blond one.
  • LOVE TRIANGLE. LOVE TRIANGLE. LOVE TRIANGLE.
That's it. There might be a few more, but I need more substantial proof on those. 

OK. Hunger Games and why I don't want Matched to end up like it. In the end, Katniss becomes this big pathetic crybaby. In the beginning she was kinda cool, sacrificing herself for her little sister, secretly a really good archer, that kind of thing. By the end, she whining over what boy she wants to love. That is incredibly sad for a girl who was once so confident in herself. Huge let down. Those books just got worse the further into the series you got. I am praying that Matched doesn't end up like that, because really, what happens to Katniss is the standard issue example of what you DON'T want to happen to the girl in the middle of the love triangle. If all that nonsense starts dominating the book, give up; it makes it a whole lot worse.
I'



You may have noticed that I keep referring to this list of 20 books and this list of 100 books. If You're curious, here they are:


   


No comments:

Post a Comment