"The book exists for us, perchance, that will explain our miracles and reveal new ones. The at present unutterable things we may find somewhere uttered."

-Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

weather, writing and fencing

Has anyone ever contemplated the overall problem weather is?  You can move someplace where it doesn't get cold in the winter, but then come summer, you're getting roasted alive, move somewhere cool for the summer, but then come winter, you're freezing to death. It's quite the enigma. Sure, you can blame it all on global warming, but what good is that? What we all need is a nice, climate regulated place. Cold, but not too cold, and hot, but not too hot. I suppose I'm silly, complaining bout the weather, but what good is the extremes? I guess if there were none, then moderate would equal extreme, but really, I would much rather experience moderate as extreme than extreme as extreme. Don't get me wrong, I love the snow, but is all the frozen wind and sub-zero temperatures necessary? Then come summer, oh, don't even let me get started.

This is going to sound beyond the farthest corners of the geekiest part of Dorksville and Nerdland, but I'm joining a fencing team. Fencing. As in fake swords. Yeah, I'm a dork/nerd/geek. Whatever you care to call it. Am I a bit afraid that I'll get beaten up by 8 year olds who know more about fencing than I do? Heck yeah. I enjoy fencing though, it's actually kinda fun. Midevil, mind you, but fun. Plus, it could never hurt to use it for research for my books. I can't write about people who constantly get into duels if a barely kno the basics as it is, and even if it is fiction, research is helpful. Make it seem more realistic and such. 


I'm not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but if you ever get confused about stuff going on in A Dark Dawn, don't worry. It's, like, the 5th book in a series I'm working on. It will though, be the 1st one I finish. I have never poured this much dedication on an almost daily basis into anything I write, as sad as that sounds. 
While on that note, here's today's batch.




Mauria stood in the arena, the floor was cover in sand, it as nobody but her and the practice warriors she had summoned. Her sword was perfectly balanced in the ball of her hand, already she could feel the thrill of a fight seeping int her bones. She bounced on the balls of her feet and swung as the first warrior approached. He exploded into a burst into of sand and she moved onto the next one.
Mauria loved fighting.  Fighting as she was now, barely focusing on her movements and the actual attack, had become something of a meditation for her. 
Thrum thump. thrum thump. As the noonday sun washed down on her, Mauria honed in on the troubles that had been plaguing her. The cchange in the wind she felt, Neria Regalia was without leader, true, the blood each ruled their own portion of the country, as they had before, and those leaders met in a council, but they lacked a common ruler, and Mauria felt deep in her bones that the people who did lead the 5 Houses of the Blood were not fit to rule them. They were not Journeyers, not Rangers. They didn't understand the full workings and culture of the people.
Then, these so called leaders never did actually do anything, sat around and argued. No action. Without action, you could be vulnerable. And the Mali, the natives to these mountains, the Council was trying to run them from their homes. What action the Council could decide on was the wrong action entirely. Neria Regalia needed a queen. A strict hierarchy. Leaders fit for the job. The council wasn't acting enough on its own and they couldn't always rely on the Mourning Stars to save them. Change. It always boiled down to that unwanted change. 
But getting change to happen where it was needed could be as hard as teling lightning where to strike. Mauria realized that she had stopped with her practice and with a grim face resumed it. Getting change to happen needed a decisive leader. A Journeyer. Not her, Mauria's Journeying days had long since ended, she knew her place though. She had to find someone. The right someone, that would get that change. Without it, nothing good could come of the future. 


From here out, I'll try to keep The Dark Dawn posts in order on their own page. If you want to read though it, you can find the page at the top.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever read "The Giver"? They have "climate control" among other things, and it's one of the saddest societies I've ever read about :)

    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read The Giver, and I agree, it is a very sad society, and I've read a lot of dystopian books. I had forgot that they had climate control in there. I suppose I'm just getting antsy for spring; winter without snow gets on my nerves.

    ReplyDelete