"The book exists for us, perchance, that will explain our miracles and reveal new ones. The at present unutterable things we may find somewhere uttered."

-Henry David Thoreau

Friday, November 11, 2011

Here for the heroes

Today is veterans day. It's also the day I'm going to talk about the Son of Neptune. The two of them seem to go together if you ask me, hardly anyone eve does, but no matter.
First, a salute to our veterans. Currently America is fighting in a war and the day will come when you're children come to you and say can so and so come to my veterans day? It's funny to think that although we live in a time when the war is current events, the day will come when it will reside in history books. It amazes me how few veterans remain from the WWII era. Soon, that too will only be a dusty memory where the idea of someone who has actually fought in it. The sad thing is that few people actually caw about these wars. These people who. Gave our lives haves no real natter to us. Recently. My grandfather died. I hardly knew him, but I wish I could have. He seemed like an interesting man from what my mother told me about him, and I wish I could've hears some of the stories he could've told me about serving in the marines and other such stories of his life.
Now onto our fictional heroes. I think that it is fair to say that all of us who enjoyed the Percy Jackson books were quite relieved when Mr. Riordan invents these new heroes to occupy our imaginations and relieve our souls so we weren't always wondering about the second prophesy.
I know that I've done a whole bunch of reviews lately, but I've been waiting for like a month to do this one and it was about time that I did it.

The Son of Neptune
By Rick Riordan
Pages:  513
Characters: Percy, Hazel, Frank
Stars:   

Rick Riordan is one of my favorite authors. Percy Jackson and the Olympians is my favorite series. I was exceedingly happy, in fact, to use the word of the day, I exulted when Heroes of Olympus came out. I waited forever for this book, and I'm happy to be able to share it.
In The Son of Neptune, we are reintroduced to Percy Jackson. From Lost Hero, we know that Hera has been messing with the "Leaders" of the camps. Jason popped up in the 1st book without his memory, and now Percy has done the same. In this all new adventure, the only thing Percy is seriously sure of is that he dates a girl named Annebeth, which I thought was really sweet. After a semi-dangerous journey involving salesladies of doom, Percy makes it to the Roman camp. There he meets 2 kids named Hazel and Frank and we run into Nico. (Nico's a dirty little traitor now :( ) Long story short: After some interesting events ( A visit from a God, a sacrifice of pillow pets) , Percy Hazel and Frank head off on a quest to Alaska with the strangest sights off all time ( A horse with more cus words than I'm willing to say and Killer Blue Cupids)
Frankly, I thought this was a pretty good book, the characters are interesting (especially Octavian) and Mr. Riordan returns with his sense of humor. It's a lot of fun to read, and I cannot wait for the next book. My only grievance is that that the ending ends right before something big happens. 

To see a bit more on all of this hero stuff, he can check out this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment