"The book exists for us, perchance, that will explain our miracles and reveal new ones. The at present unutterable things we may find somewhere uttered."

-Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Lives of Authors

OK, I hereby declare every Thursday to be daily author day on which I will discuss authors with you, my imaginary readers. First off though, I want to comment on this Indian summer that Geneva has been experiencing. I love Indian summers, I really do. they're quite nice. Read outside, make lemonade, pretend school hasn't started, ride your bike. Really, they're quite fun. But I also despise them. It's really annoying when you reach the Indian summer and because you've already put away your shorts, you're stuck with jeans. So then you get outside after school and you're sweating and wishing you had shorts and the kid next to you is going "Haha i have shorts and you don't. Shame you have to suffer. NOT!" Mentally that is, but other than that little fact, I'm actually quite happy with life. Almost done with my book (its very good and I'll aim to review it sometime next week!) and my mom had to come to school with me today, which was lots of fun. Overall it was just one of those good days where your favorite songs play all after each other on the radio and you stick your feet on the dashboard. Great day.
Wow I'm digressing a lot today. On to our author!
Cinda Williams Chima is a great author that I strongly suggest you read sometime. As far as I am aware, she has written only two series, The Heir trilogy (excellent) and the Seven realms series (even better). Currently I am reading the 3rd book in the Seven realms series, and I swear, it is one of the most interesting books I have ever read. I love her character. The way they act makes us think, and really, when you've gotten this far into a series, they're like old friends and you smile and laugh as they do funny things, and from as they commit acts of stupidity. That's a nice aspect f her writing. She makes it get personal fro you. These character, Han, Raisa, Micha, and even from her other series, Jack, Ellen and Jason, they're as much our characters as they are hers. I like to read her writing jot because i feel obliged to, but because i want to know how the story ends, and I've put this book on hold for a long time. If an author can get you to wait for their next book and you're still hanging around, loyal as ever, waiting to read it a year latter, that's impressive. If you find an author like that, hold onto them, they'll end up on your favorites list.
Anyways, I started talking about Seven realms a bit, didn't I? The series revolves mainly around two characters, Han and Raisa. Both of these people have some interesting backgrounds. Han was a gang leader, or street lord, who lived every summer with some aborigine tribes, i guess you could call them, every summer. Clans, as they are referred to in these books. the day came though that he discovered a big aspect of his life: Han's a wizard. For those of you who aren't big on this whole magic gig, bare with me, there's still more to say. Raisa is the queen-to-be of this nation, the fells, and after a series of interesting events, Raisa finds herself meeting Han. Now, if this little incidental meeting never took place, the plot wouldn't be anywhere near how interesting as it is. Raisa in intrigued by Han, but he's never, under any circumstances, be allowed to her. Han is similarly intrigued by Raisa, Rebbecca, as he knows her. Both these people want to meet, both of them want to get to know each other, and here we find where Ms. Chima has her biggest bravo: Romeo and Juliet stories. Really, there's nothing like them. Personally, I love her work because of this. Maybe you will to, try reading this sometime.
The heir trilogy. I stumbled upon this series quite by accident when my dad, seeing the title f the third book, thought that i might like it. Once i got my hands on the first book (which took forever, no one seemed to have it and i had already started reading the third one)I was glad had taken the time. Her characters are amazing. The first book, Warrior Heir, sets the stage for the other two books that follow. Now, if you're not big on the whole wizard idea, you can ditch me right now, but i advise you read on. This is an amazing series and i really hope to help someone else find it too. Jack is the main character for the first book. He lives in this tiny town somewhere in Ohio. I can't help but believe that the most incredible events happen in small towns. An example of this would be the fact that there are killer pixies in Maine, but we're talking about Miss Chima right now. Jack is, by blood, an incredible warrior. What makes him like this? Well, he belongs to one of the five guilds. The guilds are sooth-sayers, people who can imperfectly see the future, enchanters, sorcerers, who can create magical materials, wizards, who use words to shape magic (also the most powerful) and warriors, who are naturally great fighters. But jack isn't just a warrior, he also has some abilities of wizards. Not to mention, Jack is wanted to compete in a fight to the death with someone who is close to him than you may think. Personally, I think this probably some of the best fiction I've ever read. Perhaps you will too...

You can visit Cinda Williams Chima's website by clicking here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment